Printfriendly

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Praline Pecans!


I love spinach salads.  I had the idea for this salad several years ago, before so many served spinach salads with fruit and nuts.  I am not sure why I thought of it, maybe I saw something similar in the food magazines I constantly read, but I don't remember ever seeing this anyplace when I first started making it.

Now it seems everyone has some sort of spinach salad with fruit, especially in the spring.  It's just perfect for Easter dinner and I also serve it for Thanksgiving and Christmas sometimes.  I add the dried cranberries to it for those holidays and it's wonderful.

Here is what you need for this: 

1 bag baby spinach
1 bunch green onions
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups sliced strawberries
5-6 slices bacon
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. half and half
1 1/2 cups pecans
1/4 cup honey mustard dressing
1/4 cup poppy seed dressing
1/4 cup dried cranberries (optional)  I add them for holidays!!! 








Make the pralines first by melting 1/2 stick butter in a skillet with 1 cups brown sugar.  When melted add 1 tsp. vanilla and about a 1 Tbs half and half...2 if it seems too thick.



Cook this until it bubbles and stir constantly because it will stick.  It is also very hot so be careful.



Add pecans and stir to coat. Once coated spread on waxed paper or nonstick Reynold's Wrap.  These will need to sit and dry for about an hour. Once dry, break apart for your salad into smaller bites.


Next layer spinach, green onions sliced, Parmesan cheese, and sliced strawberries in a pretty salad bowl.

Cook the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels, add bacon and then praline pecans to salad. Wait to dress the salad at the table or right before serving.  Use 1/4/ cup honey mustard and 1/4 cup poppy seed dressing.  The two flavors really complement each other and are perfect with the salad ingredients.  No need to even mix them.  Just add separately and then toss the salad.
This salad will make spinach lovers out of people who say they do not eat spinach! 

3 comments:

  1. Great Recipes ! I love spinach salads!
    I absolutely love your blog and have been sharing some of your posts (especially a lot of the traditional southern recipes) with my Facebook friends/followers.
    I am not a cook , but I love to eat ! :)
    I am the author of two books of poetry Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia and My Magnolia Memories..and I talk a LOT about southern food in my poems !
    I was wondering if you might consider reveiwing my books on your blog to share with your readers. I think you (and they ) would love them !
    Thanks in advance for your consideration !
    www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be honored to review your books. I love southern literature and I know that many of my readers do also. Thank you so much for your nice comments on the blog. It is just what I know and how I was raised and I never really thought about it taking off like it has, but I guess it strikes a common chord with a lot of folks. Thank you again for your comments!

      Delete
  2. Why can't I print from your "printer friendly button". I tried numerous times.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest