Printfriendly

Sweet Potato Casserole!


Sweet potatoes are something that people usually really like or they can't stand.  However, I will say that this casserole has made a few sweet potato haters reconsider and they now love this one sweet potato dish.  This is a casserole that is a fall favorite for us and usually always a part of the holiday dinner, especially in my husband's family.  My husband's sisters and most of our nieces and nephews on that side of the family love this casserole.  My sister-in-law makes this for every family gathering, because the kids like it so well.  A good thing about sweet potatoes is that they are really good for us and full of vitamins and antioxidants, so maybe the butter and sugar in this is justified by that...lol. 

 Let's be honest, in the south, we will make a casserole out of just about anything!  There is even a potato salad casserole.  If you want an education in the southern casserole, go to a potluck at a Baptist church.   I was raised in the Southern Baptist church so I have a lot of experience with this. There will be every casserole known to man at a good church potluck or at one of my mother's family reunions which is about the size of a Southern Baptist congregation and the food is always better.

This dish is  really good with baked ham or turkey, but also goes well with pork chops or baked chicken dishes.   It can be prepared a day ahead also and baked just before your dinner, which is always a plus for me.  You can use fresh sweet potatoes you have cooked until tender or a large can of yams...either one gives good results.   Here is what you will need:
  
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
4 Tbs. butter, melted
4 cups sweet potatoes, peeled, cooked and mashed or 1 large can of yams, drained and mashed
3 Tbs. flour
pinch of salt
1/2  cup half and half
1/2 tsp nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice (I prefer the pumpkin pie spice)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla

Topping
1 cup corn flakes, slightly crushed
6 Tbs. butter, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup nuts, chopped (pecans or walnuts work well)

Mix all of the casserole ingredients and place in a 2 quart casserole dish  sprayed with nonstick baking spray.   Place in a preheated 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. 

Mix the topping ingredients in a separate bowl and after the initial 30 minutes of baking sprinkle over the top of the casserole.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes.



I love this so much I can eat it by itself as a dessert!



5 comments:

  1. What a blessing to find this recipe. This is exactly like my momma's! Not many have pecans and cornflakes instead of marshmallows. I had lost her recipe and now we have it again for the holidays. Thank you so much. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky enough to find several recipes that were lost that my Momma made. She's really good about that. That's why I open every post each day. As a matter of fact I look forward to that daily. Glad she was able to find this treasured recipe for you, God bless! :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you found it and hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is always requested by my family for Thanksgiving dinner so I am happy to bring it every year. It really is good enough to eat as a dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I found this! This is almost my exact recipe and I have all my cook books stored away. Thank You for posting!

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest