Printfriendly

Chicken Fajita Soup!

 
 
 
 
I love fajitas.  I actually love most Mexican food and as you have probably figured out if you have read many of my recipes,  I just love food in general.  However, those that I cook for the most do not like a lot of things that I crave.  Fajitas would be one of those things, so I don't make them much.  It's just too much trouble to do for one person.  I usually just get them when I go out.   So I got this idea of putting the fajita fixings into a soup, because for some odd reason, my husband will eat things in soup form that he would never touch otherwise.  I know that makes no sense, but this is what I have to work with y'all...lol.   So this chicken fajita soup was born.   It doesn't take all day long to cook, it's inexpensive to make and it's actually very healthy.   It's a winner!   Here is what you need to make it:
 
 
2 lbs. chicken tenders or 3 nice size boneless chicken breasts
1 small or 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
1 small or 1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
1 small or 1/2 large yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. minced garlic
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 pkg fajita mix ( I used Old El Paso)
juice of 1 lime
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1  15oz. can tomato sauce
3 Knorr chicken bullion cubes
2 cups frozen corn niblets or 1 can, drained
4 cups of water
2 Tbs. chopped jalapeno pepper (optional depending on how much heat you like)
dash of Tabasco sauce (optional)
 
 
Garnishes
4 flour tortillas, cut in strips and deep fried for garnish
shredded cheddar cheese
chopped green onions
sour cream
diced avocado
1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
 
 
Heat the olive oil and butter in a dutch oven or soup pot.  Add the chicken tenders, peppers, onion, and garlic, sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until done. 
 
Squeeze the juice of the lime over the chicken and vegetables and then sprinkle the fajita mix over all.  This is what the Old El Paso mix looks like in your Hispanic foods section of your store.
 
Add 4 cups of water, bullion cubes, Rotel tomatoes, tomato sauce and corn. If you are adding the jalapeno and Tabasco add it now.  Bring to a low boil, then turn down to simmer and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour for best flavor.
 
For the garnishes, I like to cut the tortillas in about 1/2 inch strips and deep fry them in oil.  They fry quickly so you have to watch them close.  Take them out to a paper towel covered plate to drain and spinkle with a little salt as soon as you take them out. You can also just buy the tortilla strips already prepared, but there is no comparison to those you fry at home fresh!   It's best to just put the other garnishes out in bowls and let everyone garnish to their own liking. 
 
 

Chicken Fajita Soup!
 
 



4 comments:

  1. Just writing out my grocery list now...can't wait to make this yummy soup this week! Thank you for another great recipe, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds good, but I'm not familiar with the fajita seasoning. Does it have a nice cumin flavor or more chili powder? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so making this recipe this weekend! We raise chickens and I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

  4. Nice making details and also nice recipe as well.Great share.
    Chicken fajita recipe

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest