Printfriendly

Nana's Pumpkin Roll!



This is my mother's pumpkin roll which she has been making for years.  I don't know how many years and wouldn't even begin to try to guess how many of these pumpkin rolls she has made.  She starts making them right before Thanksgiving and she makes them right on through Christmas.  The holidays just wouldn't be right without her pumpkin roll. This looks like it might be hard to make, but really after you get he hang of it, it's not.  I don't have the step by step pictures this time, because my mother had this one made by the time I got there with the camera.  She moves fast for a grandma...lol.   Here is what you will need for this:

Roll
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 tsp. lemon juice
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Filling
1 cup confectioners sugar
1  8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup butter, softened

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add in the sugar.  Mix in the remaining ingredients. Pour onto a well greased cookie sheet (15"x10").  Bake for 15 minutes.  Turn out onto a clean kitchen towel. Let cool.

While it cools, make the cream cheese filling by whipping the cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, butter and vanilla together.

Spread filling over the baked roll.  Roll into a roll with it still in the towel.  It will slice best if you place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.  Slice in even slices and place on a serving tray.  You can leave this refrigerated for several days before serving as long as it is wrapped up tightly.   See how easy that was and you will be so impressive with your baking skills this holiday season!


Nana's Pumpkin Roll!













11 comments:

  1. Hello, I LOVE pumpkin roll. What are the measurements of the cookie sheet that is used?

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cookie sheet should be a 10"x15". You are welcome for the recipe, I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes, Kathy! So many are like my mom's and grandma's recipes. My family is from Tennessee, but I have lived most my life (until very recently) in the very suburban Northern Virginia where most people no longer cook at all, they eat out all the time, and boy are they missing family time and traditions found in the home kitchen! I cook using what my mom taught me, with very few recipes, but sometimes I can't quite remember things and pies and things you most definitely NEED a recipe.Chess Pie!! I haven't had that since I was a kid! Green beans and new potatoes -- I cook that a lot, but I have found a way to leave the bacon out and still get great flavor. I made a bunch of new friends over the summer with a big ole mess of beans! A friend of mine shared the corn pudding recipe a few days ago, and that was the first time I'd seen your blog. Now that I'm off work today and planning tomorrow's big dinner, I decided to explore a little more! So many old favorites and new versions of things to try, so little time. Any way, I just wanted you to know that you are doing an AWESOME job and you have a new fan! Happy Thanksgiving from the eastern foothills of the Blue Ridge in Fauquier County, Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. love these recipes, ilove to bake

      Delete
  5. Looking for a Buckeyes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna, I think Kathy has a chess pie recipe on here. Just use the search function. This looks delicious! I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. can sweet potatoes be used instead????

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do u have a sweet potato cake recipe

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!! I lost my "old" recipe, and none of the "new" ones compare!! You certainly post stellar recipes for us!!

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest