Printfriendly

Redneck Caviar!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin



 As I have confessed in my post for "Hoppin John", I am not all that crazy about the taste of black eyed peas, unless they are jazzed up a little bit with some other spices.   This black eyed pea salsa does just that and it's so easy to throw together.  It's one of my favorite ways to use the homely little black eyed pea.   It completely changes the taste of them to something very light and fresh tasting.  Here is what you will need for this:

2  15oz. cans black eyed peas, rinsed and drained.
1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
1/2 cup sliced green onions, including some of the green blades
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced
2 Tbs. minced pickled jalapenos
1 Tbs. minced garlic
1 pkg dry Italian dressing
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tbs. vinegar
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning (I use Tony Cachere)
dash of black pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup chopped parsley

Combine the drained black eye peas, Rotel tomatoes, green onions, bell peppers, jalapenos and minced garlic.  Whisk together the Italian dressing mix with the olive oil, vinegar, cumin, Cajun seasoning and black pepper.  Pour over the other ingredients.  Add the fresh cilantro and parsley and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.  Serve with tortilla chips or Fritos Scoops.















5 comments:

  1. I have a recipe just like this called cowboy caviar and we love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee, I love that you call it "redneck" caviar! I have a recipe I call "white trash taco salad" because it so is a white trash version (the kind with the Catalina/French dressing and tons of Doritos in it). I've seen this around and have yet to try it, but I think this is how I will serve our black eyed peas this year. I was seriously underwhelmed by the pot I cooked this year...and there are a lot left. Hope if we eat them all we'll be "extra lucky" b/c otherwise the torture will have been for naught.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters been making this for years...When I came home from the hospital after lung cancer surgery she made some for me cause I was graving fresh veggies...Delish:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to add to my previous comment that my daughter called it Dixie Cavier:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that name "Dixie Caviar"...wish I had thought of it. :)

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest