Printfriendly

Aunt Ann's Coconut Orange Cake!



This is my Aunt Ann's Coconut Orange Cake.  Aunt Ann is one of my mother's five sisters and she is a really great cook.  My mother and her sisters all get together each month that one or more of them celebrate a birthday for a big lunch and one of them hosts it at their house. 

 Since there are six of them, this usually takes place about every other month and you would not believe the food.  It would rival any holiday meal.  It's an amazing array of so many good dishes.  

Aunt Ann brought this cake to the most recent birthday lunch and we all loved it. It's so easy, but the presentation is really pretty and the cake is moist and delicious, but still light.  

We affectionately call my mother and her sisters "The Sisters", because as much as they might fuss at each other and have their squabbles..."The Sisters" are a unit and a powerful unit at that. 

 If anyone in the family has an illness, a death, needs a shower given (baby or wedding), or has any other blessing or tragedy, "The Sisters" will  activate...sort of like the National Guard...and come to the rescue. 

 It's good to have them in your corner and they have all been helping me by providing recipes and information for this blog.  I am very thankful for their help and their years of cooking expertise and knowledge! 

For this delicious cake you will need:

1 orange cake mix and whatever ingredients it calls for (we used Duncan Hines)
1 cup flaked, sweetened coconut

Frosting

1 15 oz. can mandarin oranges, do not drain and crushed
1 large instant vanilla pudding mix (dry, not prepared)
1 cup flaked, sweetened coconut
1 8 oz. frozen whipped topping, thawed


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray two 9 inch cake pans with nonstick baking spray. 

Prepare cake mix according to package directions adding in 1 cup coconut.

Bake cakes according to times on package directions.

When the cake layers have cooled, make the frosting.   In a mixing bowl, crush the mandarin oranges with their juices with an electric mixer.  Stir in the instant pudding mix and coconut.  Fold in the whipped topping.  Mix well.  Frost the cake layers.  

If you want to garnish the top with the  5-6 of the mandarin orange slices, remove them before you crush the rest.

Refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.







36 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to try this and will let you know how it turns out. It sounds very similar to the Pig Pickin cake that a couple of my friends make:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it yesterday and it is sooo good

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful. I am going to make it for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a question -- prepare instant van. Pudding mix before adding to frosting ingredients or not?? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you prepare the pudding mix?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made one similar to this only mine did not call for coconut. Yes it is soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Likes to know WHY we cannot print the recipes out ?? What would
    it be any different if we print it out or write it down either way still getting
    the copy of the recipes..... Do you sell the recipes books ? I would like
    to have a crock pot vegetables recipes and all the cakes and pies recipes and candy....,, If you do sell the recipes books, how much you charge for
    them ? let me know.. Thank you Arlene Brock

    brockarene1940@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arlene, you can print the recipes. Look above each blog post and there is a green box or button that says "print friendly" on it. If you click on that it changes the post to a PDF document that is condensed and easier to print. You can even click on the box at the top of it that says "remove images" and take the pictures out to save paper and ink. I think you might be referring to the box that says not to copy the recipes. That means to not copy them to a cookbook or another blog or site, without giving credit to the author (me). I know it's hard to believe that some people would do such a thing, but unfortunately they do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi my cake turned out great...the icing was runny and it was done exact as recipe? HELP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you put the pudding mix in DRY or did you prepare it? (IT is supposed to go in dry....)

      Delete
    2. you can add a can of mandarin oranges to the cake mix. Drain and make the icing with Real Heavy cream and the pudding mix and a can of crushed pineapple (drained) .Make 3 layers and when cooled add the icing and put in fridge overnite and it tastes like ice cream cake. Decorate icing with mandarin oranges as well.

      Delete
    3. If the icing was runny, you more than likely didn't use the 'instant' pudding mix. The cook and serve pudding mix will not set up properly.

      Delete
  9. Looks delicious! My husband bought what I needed yesterday to make it since we will be snowed in tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rose Mary, my guess would be that you used the cook and serve pudding instead of the instant pudding mix. I had someone else who wrote to who did the same thing. The cook and serve will not thicken up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Think that I am going to try this with pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im so going to try this recipe. It will be a change from the normal carrot cake at Easter and my kiddos dont really like it. So maybe this will be something I re use as a replacement. Thanks for posting...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a similar rec. That calls for yellow cake mix instead of orange and has pineapple in it but no coconut! It is great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you mind posting that recipe? I would love to try it!

      Delete
    2. Would love to have the recipe with pineapple and yellow cake mix! Would you mind posting?

      Delete
  14. Trying this for my husband bday!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds wonderful, I cant wait to try it! My husbans is a champion cake eater!

    ReplyDelete
  16. are we making the pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you do not prepare the pudding mix, correct??
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great page and such delicious recipes. Where do ya'll live? Sounds like it has to be around Tenn. or Va.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am going to try this.. sounds great. i love trying new things.. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds delicious! I also LOVE the SISTERS!! WONDERFUL FAMILY!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The pudding mix goes in dry. You do not prepare it. Also it has to be the instant pudding mix.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this cake, however, I use a Yellow Cake mix, and add whole Mandarin oranges to the Cake and Frosting....It is always a hit, always refrigerated overnight and served cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your recipes are excellent and inspire me to cook more often. Sometimes I make dishes and sneak them in my daughters house before she comes home from work. They will call me and say thank you so much. I always pretend I have no clue what she is talking about. I tell her the food fairy must tabor her. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love all of your recipes ..and would loved to have had the sisters in my family you are a very blesses woman:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. They don't have orange cake here, so I used yellow and an envelope of orange KoolAid. Our event was delayed, so I froze the cake and then frosted it straight out of the freezer. It was so easy to frost this way and set up right away. Everyone loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. gonna try this.
    ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  27. I made this yummy cake, but when the box cake called for 1.5 cups of water, I replaced the water with orange juice. I love the citrus flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  28. can you use sugar free pudding mix?

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest