Printfriendly

Baked Spaghetti!



We love pasta and casseroles made with pasta, especially anything Italian.  This casserole is a great diversion from the usual spaghetti and sauce we all rely on a few times each month when we are trying to feed a family.   The great thing about this is also that it can be made ahead and baked later or even frozen.   Sometimes when we are having a spaghetti dinner, I just cook about double the usual amount and make this baked spaghetti for another dinner later in the week or freeze it for a day when I don't have time to cook.  


 Here is what you will need for this: 

1  1/2 to 2 lbs. ground chuck
1 medium onion, diced
1 Tbs. garlic, minced
1 jar (24 oz.) marinara or pasta sauce of your choice
1(6 oz.) can tomato paste
1 1/2 cup water
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbs. sugar
8 oz. spaghetti, cooked according to package direction less 1 minute (al dente)
2 Tbs. butter
16 oz. ricotta (can use cottage cheese)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
2 cups cheddar cheese
2 cups mozzarella cheese



Brown the ground beef, garlic and onion in a skillet.  Drain any excess grease.   Add in the pasta sauce, tomato paste and water and stir to mix well.   Add seasonings and sugar.  Cover and let simmer while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. 


 Mix the ricotta or cottage cheese, sour cream and 1/2 cup of Parmesan.   Mix the warm spaghetti that has been well drained with the 2 Tbs. of butter. I like to break the spaghetti in half before boiling it for this, so that it cuts out easier after baking. The butter keeps the spaghetti from clumping and getting dry while baking.   Spread the spaghetti evenly in a 9"x13" baking pan that has been sprayed well with nonstick baking spray.   Spread the ricotta cheese mixture evenly over the pasta.


 Sprinkle with 1 cup cheddar and 1 cup Mozzarella.  Ladle the sauce evenly over all.



Sprinkle with the other 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1 cup mozzarella and the other 1 cup cheddar.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.   Uncover and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is just starting to brown and bubble.

Baked Spaghetti!

35 comments:

  1. I have baked Spagetti before but a little different than this. This one has a few more items that would make it more delicious. Gotta try this real soon! Like, next week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this recipe make one dish or two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly is not lacking for cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many people does this serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a 9X13 size casserole so I would say at least 6 or 8 depending on portion sizes

      Delete
    2. Will be taking this recipe plus a few other ingredients to a funeral luncheon at the church. Thank you for such a good recipe.

      Delete
  5. Sounds totally delicious and I want to try but will add at least 8 oz fresh sliced mushrooms as we like it that way probably sub with Italian sausage over the ground beef. If you got real wacky you can put a layer of pepperoni too....mmmmmmmmm now starving after reading this recipe thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kinda like spaghetti lasagna

    ReplyDelete
  7. pepproni sounds really good to add.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have made this before using Ricotta (I'm Italian) and doubling the mozzarella (to 4cups) instead of using Cheddar cheese. I have never used sour cream in it either, but not against trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta add a layer of crushed black olives for my family's tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Or use mozzarella cheese

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so yummy...going to have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds wonderful! Gotta' try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would use spaghetti, penne pasta, and farfalle. Too make it really easy use a jar of your favorite sauce. I would add mushrooms too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use diced ham rathe than ground beef. Use also canned Prego sauce rather than making my own. My family loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful recipe for left over spaghetti....just add garlic rolls and a light salad and desert....you'll be queen for about 20 minutes after dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it with Meat Balls will try this buy I make my own sause & meat balls ..

    ReplyDelete
  17. My 16 y.o. daughter is spreading her culinary wings, and trying new recipes. She is making this for us tonight. Looks delicious! Can't wait for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This was delicious! Took about an hour prep time to finally putting in the oven. Well worth the wait. My family loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My family loves this recipe!! I add garlic, parsley, salt and pepper to the ricotta cheese mixture. It gives the dish extra flavor. A 9x13 dish of this lasts my family several days of leftovers when I serve it with salad and garlic yeast rolls. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum yum, I must try this soon, looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had no idea cottage cheese can be substituted for ricotta! Ricotta is 3x the price where I live so I'm going to start using cottage cheese from now on! Thanks for mentioning it! = )

    ReplyDelete
  22. If I want to cut this recipe in half do I still need to cook it as long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will be just as thick, just place it in a smaller casserole, so it will still need just about the same baking time.

      Delete
  23. I am going to try this gluten free by changing noodles and sauce. Sounds wonderful. Thank you for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am going to try this gluten free by changing the noodles and sauce. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I use hamburger sausage and pepperoni ragu sause 4 cheese pasta and any other spices I have on hand I am one of those cookes who add whatever I feel like at the time

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is one of those great recipes that you can change or substitute ingredients to your taste and it will still be good! I use cream cheese instead of parmesan because my husband doesn't like it. It makes the middle layer with sour cream & cottage cheese really creamy and tasty! It freezes well, and is such a great meal with a Italian salad and some good garlic bread! Now I'm hungry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yeah, I make my own sauce too with mushrooms and whatever I want. It makes it even better!

    ReplyDelete
  28. So, I am not the same person making all the comments....I would say this would be delicious, not time consuming to make since you cook your pasta while you make the sauce.....I will def, make this, just the way she listed it. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What can you substitute for ricotta or cottage cheese. Don't like either one.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is perfect when you need to make a meal to take to a friend's to help them out.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest