Printfriendly

Tortellini and Broccoli Harvest Salad!


This delicious broccoli salad is perfect for Springtime dining and with the addition of cheese filled tortellini, it can be a light lunch or dinner main course as well as a great side salad.  This can also be made the night before, but I do like to leave the bacon out until I serve.  I just like the bacon to remain crisp.  

This recipe is perfect to take to pot lucks or for large family gatherings, because it does make a lot of salad.  If you are cooking for a smaller family, you can easily just cut this recipe in half.  Here is what you will need for this:

1 lb. bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
20 oz. tortellini, cooked according to package direction and then drained and rinsed under cold water (can use fresh or frozen and the tri -color is pretty)
2 heads fresh broccoli, stems removed and the florets cut in bite size pieces
1 cup dried cranberries (can use raisins)
1 cup sunflower seeds
4 green onions, chopped including some of the green blades
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbs. cider vinegar (white will work also)
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper

In a large mixing bowl, combine the broccoli florets, cranberries or raisins, sunflower seeds, green onions and tortellini. 

In a smaller bowl mix the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper and whisk until the sugar is dissolved.

Pour over the broccoli mixture and combine well.

I like to chill this for about an hour before serving, but you can serve immediately.  Right before serving, mix 2/3 of the bacon into the salad and sprinkle 1/3 on top.   This holds up well for 2-3 days in the refrigerator if you do have leftovers.


Tortellini and Broccoli Harvest Salad!




13 comments:

  1. I am really going to try this. Something new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds very yummie! And with warm weather coming - I think this will be a great fresh dish to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think raw, otherwise it would be mushy.

      Delete
  3. do you cook brocolli or put it in raw?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should call it Tortellini and Bacon Harvest Salad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this for supper today to serve with grilled chicken. I didn't have onions on hand, but this is still wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. has anyone made it w/out the broccoli? sounds great except for that, neither of us like it

    ReplyDelete
  7. For the person asking about raw or cooked broccoli...I can say that when I make pasta salad I sometimes use broccoli and I like to blanch it 1st. I bring water to a boil...add my broccoli pieces and let them boil for about 1 minute. Then drain and add to a bowl of ice water. Allow to cool in the ice water and drain well. I usually lay out a clean kitchen towel and lay the broccoli out to drain well so that it does not water down my dressing. I started doing this because I don't really love raw broccoli. The ice water after the brief cooking keeps the color bright green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this tip, I'm not a fan of raw broccoli either.

      Delete
  8. also....I also wanted to say that this sounds wonderful and I can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm... I confess to nibbling before I put this in the fridge. I have fixed the Beef in the slow cooker (with the dry ranch dressing etc...) mashed potatoes and this salad. Apple cake with a warm vanilla sauce. I'm thinking our bellies will be full. Thank you so much for your "delicious" site. I haven't tried one of your recipes that wasn't "perfecto!" Rhonda :)

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest