Printfriendly

Blackberry Dumplings!




These "Blackberry Dumplings" are an old recipe my grandmother and aunts used to make when my mother was growing up.  It's a recipe that used what they had available on the farm...plenty of cream, butter and whatever fruit was in season at the time.   The wild blackberries grew plentiful back then on Kentucky farms and they are absolutely the best blackberries.  They are smaller, but so much sweeter than the big blackberries sold in stores today that are fairly tasteless.   The one negative to wild blackberries is picking them and getting chigger bites and maybe running across the occasional snake or two...that might be two negatives...lol.  

You can also use frozen blackberries in this recipe, but fresh is better.  There is  no substituting for the cream and butter in this recipe and if you do, please don't tell me.   It makes me queasy!   We make these almost identical to the strawberry dumplings, but more sugar is required.  Don't try to skimp on the sugar, because blackberries are much harder to sweeten than strawberries, especially in- season strawberries. 

 Here is what you will need:

2  1/2 cups biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
3/4 cup cold water
4 cups fresh blackberries
8 Tbs. butter, divided
2 cups sugar, divided
2 cups heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


 Mix the biscuit mix and water and roll into a ball. Place on a floured surface. We used biscuit mix not only because it's easier for today's cooks, but it works really well for this.


Divide the ball into 8 equal pieces.


  Roll each piece into a circle.  Place 1/ 2 cup blackberries, 1 Tbs. butter and 3 Tbs. sugar on top of the berries.


Wet the dough around the edges just a little and pinch each 'dumpling' up into a  little purse.  Place seam side up in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. 
Pour the 2 cups of cream over  and around the dumplings.  Sprinkle each with 1 more tablespoon of sugar.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour uncovered.  Half way through the baking time, remove from the oven and dip some of the cream up and pour back over the tops of each dumpling.  This keeps them from drying out and makes the tops nice and brown.

Blackberry Dumplings


15 comments:

  1. Why do you use strawberries instead of blackberries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was obviously a misprint. I have fixed that now.

      Delete
  2. Those look so delicious! My grandmother used to make blackberry dumplings as well from her wild blackberry bushes on their farm. You brought back lots of memories today! I hope you don't mind - I'm going to pin these to make some come blackberry season here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fresh strawberries, do I use same recipe or cut back on sugar. I want to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do the same thing and cut the sugar by 1 Tablespoon per dumpling.

      Delete
    2. What about blueberries?

      Delete
  4. I don't use bisquit. What's the recipe for out then? Please

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy this looks so good i'm going to try and make this today im sure it'll be great

    ReplyDelete
  6. what can I use instead of bisquick?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heat my berries on the stove and add my dumplings one at a time with a big spoon. Just like I do chicken and dumplings. I make my dumplings with self-rising flour, egg and milk. I don't roll them out and cut them. I make "drop" dumplings. Big and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI , I DO THE SAME,BLACKBERRIES. ONLY COOK THEM ON STOVE, LIKE C & D. AND MY FAMILY HAS DONE THIS FOR MANY YEARS, AND I AM COMING ON 60. I USE A CAN OF BISCUITS. CUT IN QUATERS.[ BOTH] WORKS SAME AS IN CHICKEN N DUMPLINGS. ONLY DO YOUR CHICKIN N DUMPLINGS WITH YOUR VEGGIES. ENJOY BOTH. [ HOW THEY BECOME ''DUMPLIMGS''..... :-)

      Delete
  8. I don't have any Bisquick, so what can I use instead?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember picking wild blackberries and getting more than a chigger bite or two, I never ran into a snake but was always terrified that I might, I usually ate more than I took back home lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seeds ruin everything for me when you talk blackberries. They get in my teeth and they get in my diverticulae. I would use strawberries or any kind of fruit. Self rising flour is a good sub for bisquick. So is plain flour with some soda and salt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too would love to know if the recipe changes for Blueberries.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest