Printfriendly

Fresh Strawberry Cake Roll!




This strawberry cake roll looks very elegant and impressive and it's great to serve to company.  They don't need to know how easy it is.  It's also lower in fat than a lot of desserts because the base is angel food cake.  Here is what you will need for this: 


1 Angel Food Cake Mix
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, divided
2 pints fresh strawberries
3 Tbs. granulated sugar
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
3 Tbs. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla



Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Line a jelly roll pan  (15  1/2" x 10  1/2")  with waxed paper and spray it with nonstick spray.  Prepare cake mix as directed on the package and spread evenly in the pan.   Bake 35 to 40 minutes.


Sprinkle a clean kitchen towel well with confectioners sugar.  Invert the cake onto the towel and peel off the wax paper.  Cut any crisp edges from the cake.  From the narrow end, roll the cake and the towel together.  Place the roll seam side down an a rack to cool.


While the cake cools, cap and slice 1 pint of  strawberries in thin slices.  Sprinkle them with the 3 Tbs. granulated sugar.  Stir them and let them sit until the sugar is dissolved.


In  bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese with the milk until smooth.  Blend in the vanilla and 1 cup confectioners sugar.  
 

Unroll the cake and spread with the cream cheese mixture.  Cover the cream cheese mixture with the sliced strawberries.  Reroll the cake and sprinkle generously with the remainder of the confectioners sugar.  Place seam side down on a pretty platter or plate and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. 


Slice and serve with the remainder of the strawberries.  You can slice them and macerate them in sugar and just a little water to make a syrup, like you would for strawberry shortcake,  or just serve the fresh berries alongside.   It also looks pretty to garnish the platter with a few berries.







15 comments:

  1. This looks SO good! Will defenitly try this one, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My strawberries are blessing us, so I'm going try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy! Once again we are on the same wave length. I made a strawberry pie last weekend. :) This looks delightful! ~ Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melissa. It's so funny how we think so much alike...lol. GMTA!

      Delete
  4. G'day! I have SO many wonderful childhood memories of this cake, TRUE!
    Made me feel happy JUST seeing your recipe and your photo today too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really must try this.But I'll wait til it cools off here in AZ.I can use some of the frozen berries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Question: Can you wrap the finished cake in saran wrap and refrigerate like a pumpkin roll? Or will that mess up the angel food cake on the outside? Just curious as I'm making this for dinner and not sure I want it to just sit uncovered in the fridge for 6-7 hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as long as it is wrapped tight, I will be fine.

      Delete
  8. I'm making this for company Sat. Can I make the cake the night before, leave it rolled up overnight and finish in the morning? Just wondered if it would be too stiff to un roll?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Help! What didi I do wrong? I measured my jelly roll pan and went by the directions on the cake mix and it is running over in my oven!! Lots of it in my oven!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I use yellow cake mix .

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest