Printfriendly

Lawn Mower Salad!


One of our Sweet Tea and Cornbread friends wrote and asked if I had the recipe for the "Lawn Mower Salad".  I had not really heard of the this salad, but now that she asked, I was intrigued.  I found a few recipes, but not many.  I ended up combining a couple of them and then adding some of my own ingredients.  I took this to my one of 'The Sister's' birthday luncheons and got the two thumbs up from everyone, so it was a success.  

 For those who don't have a clue what I am referring to,  my mother has five sisters and they have a lunch in honor of each of their birthdays.  This one was for my mother's September birthday.  They are all wonderful southern cooks, so the food is unbelievably good and very plentiful at these gatherings.  I will be featuring a few new recipes we had that day later this week, so be watching! 
 

This is what you will need for this salad:

1 (12 oz.) bag broccoli slaw mix
1 bunch of green onions, sliced including some of the green blades
1 cup salted cashew pieces
1 cup Craisins dried cranberries (can use raisins)
1/2 cup oil (whatever you prefer, vegetable, canola or extra virgin olive oil)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup rice wine or cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 pkgs. chicken flavored Ramen noodles, crushed with seasoning packets reserved


In a salad bowl toss together the broccoli slaw mix, green onions, cashews and Craisins.  

In a separate bowl, whisk together the oil, sugar, vinegar, water, soy sauce, and Ramen seasoning packets.  Whisk until the sugar and seasoning mix is dissolved.

Pour this mixture over the salad and toss.  Refrigerate for at least an hour.  You can prepare this several hours ahead of time.  The salad just gets tastier.

Right before serving,  sprinkle in the crushed Ramen noodles and toss all of the ingredients so that they all have some of the dressing on them.   If you do not want the noodles crunchy and like them softer, add them before refrigerating.   I like them with a little crunch.







15 comments:

  1. My friends call this Oriental Slaw...instead of cashews they use sunflower kernels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, in Massachusetts...but Lawn Mower Salad is so much funnier!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to try this! Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very close to Mad Hatter salad. Only you cook the noddles.spice pack and nuts in oil to give them more flavor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I share your recipe?? I'll give you credits!! (Don't know how to select the comment as choice, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother used to cook a wonderful pound cake that was crunchy on top. Do you happen to know of this recipe or have it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this many times minus the soy sauce. Everyone loves it! I also add some sesame oil to give it a bit of oriental flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sesame oil - excellent idea. Gonna try it!

      Delete
  7. Add thinly sliced chicken breast.
    Also, can use slivered almonds instead of cashews and mix in a package of shredded lettuce with the slaw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i toast the noodles with slivered almonds. add sunflower seeds and green onion at the end. it is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add some bacon to it and it will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this salad. I used to get it at Eddington's, in downtown Minneapolis, for lunch. They called it Asian salad, with sunflower seeds. I called it silage salad. It took forever to eat because you had to chew so much, but that was one of the things I loved about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here in East Florida we call this Fumi salad and use toasted Almonds and add sesame oil. Always a big hit at pot luck luncheons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds so good. Iv eaten it at family gatherings. . im from IDAHO. So we eat lots of things like this,

    ReplyDelete
  13. I call it KRAZY KOLESLAW! Cause it’s crazy good!
    But I use beef ramen
    Apple cider vinegar
    Brown sugar
    Olive oil
    Almond and sun flower kernels!
    Anyone can put there own spin on the same recipe and it would be delicious

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest