Printfriendly

Mama's Pecan Chicken Salad!

 
 
 My mother makes the best "Pecan Chicken Salad"!  She and one of her sisters used to own a restaurant and this was always one of their biggest sellers at lunch.  They usually sold this as a salad plated with fresh fruit around it.  I love it like that, but it's also really good on a fresh croissant as a sandwich.  This is so much better than any you can buy already prepared, unless you do get it at a deli or restaurant where they make it fresh daily and it's so easy, why not make it yourself for half the cost!  Here is what you will need:
 
4 cups cooked chicken breast meat, chopped or 2 (15oz). cans all white chicken  (SAM's sells some that is really good)
1 1/2 cups sliced seedless grapes (red or white)
3/4 cup chopped celery
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. lemon juice
3/4 cup pecans
1 cup mayonnaise

Mix all ingredients and stir together. This chicken salad is so good with fresh fruit or on croissants as a sandwich.
 
 



19 comments:

  1. How much does this make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be about six cups in all. I would substitute dried cranberries for some of the grapes also.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made these, but use Poppy Seed dressing instead of the Worcestershire, lemon juice , sugar and mayo. It is great for anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make this without the worchestershire sauce, but add drained crushed pineapple. To die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has to watch the carbs, what can i substitute for the grapes?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chopped or pecan halves?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dried cranberriess have lots of carbs as well. Be careful how much you put in if you use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you use other kinds of nuts? It sounds so delicious. I'm making it for a class Christmas party and my teacher has to eat gluten-free. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How would adding some chopped green apple in it be I wonder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good with apples. I add that most of the time.

      Delete
    2. I use Fuji ad Gala apples every time I make Chicken Salad along with the seedless grapes. It is delicious.
      I don't add any sugar to the recipe as the fruits add just the right sweetness.

      Delete
  10. I think you could also use pineapple tidbits instead of the grapes. I had this once while in the hospital after the birth of my second child. It was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For those who enjoy the taste, omit the Worcestershire, and add a speck of horseradish sauce. Also, I toast my pecans before adding them. It really brings out the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I served this with peach halves (canned) and it was A*M*A*Z*I*N*G !

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you used Poppyseed dressing how much would you use....?

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest