Printfriendly

Old Fashioned Orange Slice Cookies!



Theses "Orange Slice Cookies" are a delicious, chewy, slightly orange flavored cookie.  Orange slice candy is an old fashioned orange flavored jellied candy for those of you not familiar with them.  I guess they were sort of the original gummy bear.  I will be honest with you, I was never a fan of the orange slice.  I have found that most older folks love anything having to do with orange slices.  It's the candy of their youth and most just love them. The use of orange slices at Christmastime is especially appropriate also, because that was something a lot of our older family members had only at holidays.

 I am sometimes skeptical of recipes that use orange slices, but this cookie recipe was a big surprise.   The cookies are delicious and the orange slices give them a really chewy texture that I love.  So if you love orange slices or you are not a fan, you will still love these cookies! 

 Here is what you will need:

1 cup butter flavored shortening (Crisco)
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1  1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1  1/2 Tbs. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1  1/2 cups quick cooking oats (not instant)
1/2 cup coconut
10 orange slice candies, each cut into 4 pieces
3/4 cups pecans, chopped

 In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugars and eggs together.  Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Mix into the creamed ingredients. 

Add water, vanilla, oats, coconut, pecans, and orange slices and mix just until all is combined.  Chill for 1 hour.

With a cookie scoop or spoon, scoop out and roll in about 1 inch balls.  Place on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake in a 325 degree oven for approximately 12 minutes or until just brown. 


  


1 comment:

  1. My mom used to make these back in the 60's! They were my favorite! She would send them to me in college. I had lost my recipe. But hers did not have coconut.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest