Printfriendly

Crustless Buttermilk Quiche!


This "Crustless Buttermilk Quiche" is a great quiche you can whip up in no time and it's good served for breakfast, lunch, brunch or a light supper!   I started making crustless versions of quiche when I was trying to cut some of the carbs in my diet and I found that I really didn't miss the crust all that much.   These are also great when you don't have a pie shell or time to make a pie crust!   The use of buttermilk in this is a little different also and you know it can only make it better!  Buttermilk is one of the ingredients in southern cooking that just makes it or breaks it!    Here is what you will need for this quiche:


1 lb. breakfast sausage (1 roll),  browned  (can substitute diced, cooked ham for sausage)
1/4 cup sliced green onions
3 Tbs. butter, melted
4 large eggs
1/4 cup flour
1  1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
dash of hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese



Crumble and brown the sausage in a skillet.  Add the green onion for the last 5 minutes just to get it tender.  If there is excess grease, drain that off.  



Spray a quiche dish or deep pie plate with nonstick spray and place the sausage and onions in the bottom.



In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, buttermilk, flour and seasonings.  Stir in the cheeses.  Pour evenly over the sausage mixture.  Make sure to spread the cheese around evenly.



Place in a 350 degree oven.  It's best to place this on a cookie sheet.  I used the Temptations pie plate which is just the perfect size, but if you use a regular deep pie plate, it will be very full.  Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a sharp knife inserted into the center comes out clean.   If it starts to brown too much, just lay a piece of foil over the top.  Slice and serve immediately!



This is great served with hash browns or fried potatoes!




14 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderfull,could I use corn starch,(cornflour in UK) as I am A Celiac sufferer.
    Thank you,Gill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can this be made a day ahead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of my questions too!

      Delete
    2. yes, it can. It is really better that way.

      Delete
  3. This is delicious and so easy. Make up the night before then pop in the oven for 45 minutes and breakfast is done. Add some hash browns or fruit and you have a very good meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is more like the ones I make, rarely did I use a pie crust. And I love the endless possibilities. I used left overs in a lot of them. Hope you'll all try it! :)
    I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any nutritional information available? I"m hoping to figure out Weight Watchers point value. Also, I used gluten free flour as a substitute and it was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know for others who may ask. I don't include nutritional information, because I am not a dietician or nutritionist and I am not qualified to do that. My recipes are mostly my own or my families we have been making for years or created so they didn't come with any nutritional info either. You might be able to break down the ingredients and use the WW calculator to come pretty close.

      Delete
  6. How about using the hash browns as the crust?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to try this. I'll be adding mushrooms to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sometimes butter the tin and press breadcrumbs into the butter to form a wee crust before pouring in the filling. It works well when I don't have time to make one or don't have frozen crusts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. plain flour or self rising

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonder how this would be with some frozen hash browns cooked a little with the sausage and onions as another ingredient. Anyone done this?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so delicious! It's my new favorite special breakfast! Thanks

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest