Printfriendly

Southern Roast Beef Hash!


This "Southern Roast Beef Hash" is a meal my mother always made if we had leftover roast beef. Usually it was when she had cooked a chuck roast with carrots and potatoes around it.  It's a great way to use all of the leftovers...the beef and the vegetables, but it doesn't taste like the same leftovers. I like to serve it with beans and Cornbread Hoe Cakes!

I asked my husband when we first got married if he like hash.  He just had a blank look on his face, so I described it.  He said he had never heard of it.  I thought that was odd, because I knew his mother cooked roast, carrot and potatoes, but then I realized that they had 6 people in there family, so I bet they never had any leftovers.  I made him some and now he just loves it.

You can use any type of roast for this.  For this one, I had made The Mississippi Roast and cooked carrots and potatoes around it and it is so good that way.  Here is what you will need:

2 Tbs. bacon drippings or oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
3 cups, potatoes, diced
3 cups roast beef, cubed
salt to taste
black pepper to taste

In a large skillet heat the bacon drippings or oil.  The bacon drippings give this such a great flavor. Add the onion and uncooked potatoes and carrots and saute them all just until they are starting to get soft. 

Add the beef and if you have any left over carrots and potatoes, dice them up and add them also.  You should have some gravy or beef juices left also so add some of that.  You don't want this to be too soupy so maybe not all of it.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cover and cook on medium low until the potatoes and carrots are tender.  It takes about 30 minutes.  

Uncover and turn the heat up and cook until it thickens up and it has a hash consistency.  Turn it frequently, because it can burn on the bottom.  

It's ready to serve!  See how quick and easy that was!  Sometimes I enjoy this more than the original roast!  This is just good country food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest