Printfriendly

Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Red Sauce!


I love Mexican food!  I can eat it several times a week and fortunately, for a city our size, we have quite a few really good Mexican restaurants.  Here is where the problem is though,  my husband doesn't really like to eat Mexican food unless I make it!  Lucky me!  The reason for that is, I customize it to his picky taste buds.  Therefore, I cook Mexican food at home when I get a craving for it most of the time.

Since I am an ambassador for Red Gold Tomatoes, I am always thinking of ways to incorporate their wonderful products into my recipes.  I have been wanting to try making my own enchilada sauce, so that is exactly what I did.  I used Red Gold's Tomato Sauce in this recipe.

These "Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Red Sauce" are some of the best enchiladas I have had and I think it's the homemade red sauce that makes the difference.  This sauce is very much like what you would get in a good Mexican restaurant and tastes nothing like the canned stuff.  Of course, if you want to do a shortcut version, you can use a large can of the store bought sauce.   I encourage you to make the sauce though.  You won't believe how much better it is.   Here is what you will need for these yummy enchiladas:

1  1/2 lbs. ground chuck
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (if you like it hot, leave the seeds)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
8 six inch flour tortillas
3 cups shredded Monterrey Jack/Cheddar blend cheese, divided

Homemade Red Sauce

3 Tbs. vegetable or canola oil
3 Tbs. flour
1 (15 oz.) can Red Gold Tomato Sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. chili powder 
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1//2 tsp. garlic powder
dash of hot sauce ( I used Tabasco)
salt and pepper to taste

To make the beef filling, brown the ground chuck in a skillet along with the diced onion and jalapeno pepper.  When dicing jalapenos, wear gloves or be very careful to wash your hands before putting them near your face or eyes.  The oils in them can actually burn you.  I have very sensitive skin so I always wear gloves when handling peppers.   

While the meat is browning sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  After the meat is browned add the other seasonings and stir.   Turn down to low or off while you make your red sauce.

In another skillet heat the oil, add the flour and whisk.  Cook for a minute or two.  Add the Red Gold Tomato sauce, chicken broth and the rest of the seasonings and bring to a simmer.  It will thicken just a bit.  If it seems too thick add just a little water.  

Now you are ready to put the enchiladas together.  Spray a 9"x13" baking dish with nonstick spray.  Spread about a cup of the red sauce on the bottom of the dish.   Fill each tortilla with an eighth of the meat filling.  Use half of the cheese to sprinkle on the inside of the enchiladas, reserving the other half for the top once they are rolled.   Roll up the tortillas and place seam side down in the baking dish.  When they are all rolled cover the top with the rest of the red sauce.  Be sure to spread it to cover all of the tortillas or they will dry out and be hard.


Sprinkle the top with the rest of the shredded cheese.  Cover with foil and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.


 Uncover and cook for about 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is nice and browned some.


Garnish with whatever your family likes, shredded lettuce, sour cream, black olives, jalapeno slices, green onions are all good!  These are so good they will become a regular!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest